Funds for publishing books open access
As affiliated with Lund University, you can apply to make accepted/published books open access (monographs and anthologies).
Financial support for publishing OA books
As an affiliate of Lund University, it is possible to apply for funds to publish books open access (monographs and anthologies). There is no compensation for books where the BPC (oa fee) is already financed in full by other means, for example by an external financier. Partial financing can be granted.
There is no set limit for what the publication may cost, but the amount should be considered reasonable. The publisher should be transparent with what is included in the cost.
One application per person and per calendar year is granted.
Costs for publishing open access at Lund University
When publishing open access, the entire amount for the APC or BPC is initially paid by the University Library. Parts of the cost of publishing (within the agreements, those paid with the extra publishing support or the Book fund) are later invoiced to the faculties. Depending on how your faculty choose to handle the costs, you may have to pay a part of the publication fee later on.
The distribution model for Lund University's publishing costs was decided by the vice-chancellor in 2022.
Conditions and application
It is possible to apply for funding for both monographs and anthologies. Entire anthologies can be financed by an application from an editor affiliated to Lund University. Individual chapters in anthologies can be financed under the condition that the entire anthology is made freely available.
The printed book must be in press or have been published no later than two years prior the application. The open access book must be published at the same time as the printed one.
Conditions to receive funding
It is required that the publisher is listed in Directory of open access books (DOAB) or to a member of OASPA. As an exception, support may be granted provided that the following criteria are met:
- The book must be scientific and have undergone a peer review process in accordance with the standard of the research area.
- The book must be distributed with a CC license.
- If the publisher does not have an established e-book platform, the book must be distributed in a way intended for books, such as Open Monograph Press (OMP). For example, Open Books at Lund University (OBLU). A copy of the book should be deposited in the local CRIS system.
The following terms apply to the distribution of the book:
- The book must not be sold as an e-book by the publisher.
- The book may not be published with delayed open access.
Make an application
Apply by sending the following information to publicera [at] lub [dot] lu [dot] se (publicera[at]lub[dot]lu[dot]se)
- Name of the applicant, who is the author or editor.
- Affiliation at Lund University
- Title of the book. Include the title of the chapter if the application concerns partial funding
- Estimated cost
The following address is to be used on the invoice:
Lund University Library
SE-221 00 Lund
The publisher should send the invoice electronically to publicera [at] lub [dot] lu [dot] se (publicera[at]lub[dot]lu[dot]se)
For questions about the publishing agreements, the extra OA funding or the Book fund you are welcome to contact us at: publicera [at] lub [dot] lu [dot] se