Manuscripts & archives
- ALVIN – search portal for cultural heritage collections (manuscripts, personal archives, images, maps and older printed material) in the university libraries of Lund, Uppsala and Gothenburg among others. ALVIN has replaced the older search service Ediffah and we are continually working on transferring our old card catalogues to ALVIN.
- The Manuscript Catalogue – our old card catalogue of manuscripts and archives (pre-1986). Here is also a catalogue of personal letters.
- Individual archives – our personal archives, family archives and archives of associations and societies are all registered in ALVIN. In cases where detailed archive lists exist, these can be found as an appendix to the relevant record.
- Voices from Ravensbrück – interviews with survivors from the Ravensbrück concentration camp.
- The Papyrus Collection – search the library’s 800 Egyptian papyri, written in Greek during the first centuries B.C. and A.D. The papyri are available in the international portal Papyri.info.
We are currently transferring all our digitized collections to ALVIN. Several collections previously presented as separate databases or catalogues are now available in ALVIN, including:
- The De la Gardie Archive – historical documents, parchment letters, topographical documents and individual manuscripts from the 16th to the 19th century.
- The Jarring Collection – our collection of East Turkestan manuscripts from the present Chinese province of Xinjiang.
- Medieval manuscripts (St. Laurentius Digital Manuscript Library).
We also provide access to the National Archives’ search function Svar (accessible within Lund University):
- Svar – Search Swedish archival documents on microfilm, in particular church registers, court records and military archives from the Regional State Archives and the Military Archives.
Requesting manuscripts and archives
You need to request manuscripts/archives in advance and read them in the Special Collections Reading Room:
Send your request to handskrift [at] ub [dot] lu [dot] se.