Regulations for the Special Collections Reading Room
General rules and regulations
In the Special Collections Reading Room you can study manuscripts, items printed before 1900, maps, images, ephemera, newspapers and other fragile material. If requested material is accessible in digitized form we generally refer the researcher to the digital copy. Exceptions can be made if the researcher has special reasons for consulting the physical original.
- Each visitor must have a valid library card. If you are not a Swedish citizen, you can apply for a temporary library card at the library main information desk.
- All visitors must sign the guest book at every visit.
- At the first visit, you must read and sign the the general rules and conditions.
- Outerwear and bags (briefcases, book bags, laptop computer cases etc) must be kept in lockers outside the reading room.
- No pens or sharp tools are allowed.
- Food and drink are not permitted under any circumstances.
- A maximum of 10 volumes may be requested at one time.
- Requested materials are available for 8 days from the request date.
- Each visit extends the loan with 30 days.
- The material may be stored in a temporary, accessible archive for a maximum of 3 months.
- A maximum of 5 books or 1 volume of unbound materials may be consulted at one time.
- If requested material is accessible in digitized form we generally refer the researcher to the digital copy. Exceptions can be made if you have special reasons for consulting the physical original.
- Books and manuscripts must not be removed from the Special Collections Reading Room.
- Materials must remain on the table during use. They are not to be placed in the lap or propped against the table edge.
- No papers, books, or other objects may be laid on materials in use.
- No marks are to be added to or erased from materials consulted.
- The order and arrangement of unbound materials must be preserved.
- Only Reading Room staff members may cut unopened pages.
- Clean hands are required when handling all material. When consulting photographs, you must wear gloves supplied by the Reading Room staff.
- Use pillows and weights when instructed by the Reading Room staff.
- Magnifying glasses, ultraviolet lights and a light table are available upon request.
- Use of digital cameras is permitted. Do not use flash and the sound should be turned off.
- Photocopies may also be requested from our digitization department, contact the Reading Room staff for more information.
- When you use material from Lund University Library in publications always specify the source. Note that it is your responsibility to follow copyright laws.