Regulations for the Special Collections Reading Room
In the Special Collections Reading Room, you can study manuscripts, items printed before 1900, maps, images, ephemera, newspapers, and other fragile materials. We generally refer the researcher to the digital copy if the requested material is digitized. We can make exceptions if the researcher has particular reasons for consulting the physical original.
- Each visitor must have a valid library card. If you are not a Swedish citizen, you can apply for a temporary library card at the library's main information desk.
- All visitors must sign the guest book at every visit.
- On the first visit, you must read and sign the general rules and conditions.
- Outerwear and bags (briefcases, book bags, laptop computer cases, etc.) must be kept in lockers outside the reading room.
- No pens or sharp tools are allowed.
- Food and drink are not permitted under any circumstances.
- You may request a maximum of 10 volumes at one time.
- The requested materials are available for eight days from the request date.
- Each visit extends the loan by 30 days.
- We may store the material in a temporary, accessible archive for a maximum of 3 months.
- You may consult a maximum of 5 books or 1 volume of unbound materials at one time.
- We generally refer the researcher to the digital copy if the requested material is accessible in a digitized form. We can make exceptions if you have special reasons for consulting the physical original.
- No material may leave the Special Collections Reading Room.
- Materials must remain on the table during use. They are not to be placed in the lap or propped against the table edge.
- You may lay no papers, books, or other objects on materials in use.
- No marks are to be added to or erased from materials consulted.
- You must preserve the order and arrangement of unbound materials.
- Only Reading Room staff members may cut unopened pages.
- Clean hands are required when handling all material. When consulting photographs, you must wear gloves supplied by the Reading Room staff.
- Use pillows and weights when instructed by the Reading Room staff.
- Magnifying glasses, ultraviolet lights, and a light table are available upon request.
- The use of digital cameras is permitted. Do not use flash, and you should turn the sound off.
- You can also order photocopies from our digitization department, contact the Reading Room staff for more information.
- When you use material from Lund University Library in publications, always specify the source. Note that it is your responsibility to follow copyright laws.