Next to our newspaper sofa on the entrance floor you will find the latest week’s issues of Dagens Nyheter, Svenska Dagbladet and Sydsvenskan.
How to find electronic newspapers
There are several databases that you can use for searching electronic newspapers:
- Retriever Research (formerly Mediearkivet) with Swedish newspaper articles from the 1990s and onward. You need to be a student or employee in order to get access to this database from outside the University.
- Digitzed Swedish daily newspapers contains a selection of older daily newspapers from the 1700s to the beginning of the 1900s.
- Search Swedish newspapers which for instance contains Aftonbladet, Svenska Dagbladet, Dagens Nyheter and Expressen from the start to the present day. Material younger than 115 years is copyright-protected, and you can only read it at the National Library.
- Swedish American newspapers contains 28 Swedish American newspapers published across the United States between 1859 and 2007.
- Safir: Daily newspapers has links to free daily newspaper archives.
You read most newspapers on microfilm
Because of the very poor durability of the paper, you have to read newspapers primarily on microfilm in the Microfilm Reading Room.
Between 1979 and 2013 the National Library had all Swedish newspapers microfilmed.
Since 2014 the National Library are digitizing newspapers instead. The digitized papers can only be read at the National Library.
How to request newspapers in original print format
Newspapers which are microfilmed are only collected in original print format if you need them for special research purposes. You read the originals in our Special Collections Reading Room. Newspaper originals from external storage are available Wednesdays after 9 a.m. in the Special Collections Reading Room, if you request them at the latest on Monday the same week.
Newspaper originals from our closed stacks are available on the following weekday.
Read more on newspapers
There are a lot of facts available on newspaper publishers, editors, prices, printers and start dates in the database Nya Lundstedt.