Getting a library card
If you are a student or staff at Lund University, use your LU card as a library card. Others not affiliated with Lund University gets another type of library card.
- If you are student or staff you first need to get a LU-card, if you do not already have one. If you are not affiliated with Lund university you can start at step 2.
- Fill in this application for a library account.
- Activate your LU card/collect your library card at one of the Lund University libraries.
Please note that you must be 18 years or older. If you are using a library card (not an LU-card), a replacement fee of SEK 25 is due in case of loss. If you are not a guest student/researcher and do not have a Swedish personal identification number, you need a personal guarantee from a person who is over the age of 18, employed and residing in Sweden.
You who already have a library card will have it replaced next time you visit a library:
- Students and staff now have their LU card activated as a library card without any further action needed.
- Others not affiliated to Lund University will receive a new library card during their next visit to the library.
Read more in this guide to the replacement of library cards.
How to order and borrow material
In the Lovisa library catalogue, you can see what material is available at the University Library and where to find it. You can retrieve some items yourself, whereas some must be ordered in advance.
- Open collection (location ÖS in the library catalogue): this is on floor 3. Here you can help yourself to the books you want.
- Storage (location UB Magasin in the library catalogue): you order the material via Lovisa and collect it the next day after 12:00 (Mon-Fri). You will receive an email confirming that the item has been retrieved from storage for you. The item is available for collection for one week.
- External storage (location UB Depå in the library catalogue): you order the item via Lovisa and collect it the next day after 16:00 (Mon-Fri), in exceptional cases two working days later. You will receive an email confirming that the item has been retrieved from storage for you. The item is available for collection for one week.
- Reading room loans: material that is only available for consultation within the library. Read more under Material for consultation at the University Library in the left hand menu.
- Older literature: ordered through the Catalogue -1957 or using a printed form available from the information desk.
- Manuscripts and special collections: ordered either using a request form, or a printed form available from the Information Desk and in the Special Collections Reading Room. You can also rqeuest items by contacting handskrift [at] ub.lu.se.
Pick up your orders
Storage and external storage books are available at the reserved shelves located in the central part of the entrance floor. You register the loan by using the self-service machine right next to the reserved shelves or at the information desk.
Reading room loans are picked up and registered at the information desk; they are also kept there when you are not using it.
Joining a waiting list
If the book you are looking for is out on loan, you can join a waiting list via the Request tab in Lovisa. This will reveal how many people are on the waiting list for the book. When the book is returned to the library, you will be notified via email.
Checking your loans
You can check your loans and requests in Lovisa. You cannot renew loans from the University library yourself in Lovisa, but you can do so by bringing your books in to the library.
Loan periods and returns
Items from the Open Collection and on-site storage can be borrowed for at least 28 days, but you can continue to have the book for up to six months if no one is waiting to borrow it. The maximum loan period for researchers is 12 months.
When the University Library is closed, you can return books via the book drop box on the west side of the building. You can also return University Library books to other libraries within Lund University.
If you forget to return your borrowed books on time, we will send you a reminder via email. If you still do not return the book we send an invoice for the item’s purchase price and a handling fee of SEK 300. Read more about lending conditions and late returns in the right hand column.